Category Archives: Actionscript

Acura Connected Living

This multitouch Air application features the full suite of Acura product information, presented in a rich and engaging interactive environment. Content is synchronised over the cloud making updates effortless. I was involved in a recent addition to the application, a particle effect attractor state controlled by kinect cameras. The camera was mounted below the screen and monitored the movement of people near-by. Users positions were translated to particle attractors which created a personal effect of being able to casually influence the computer graphics on the digital screens.

I used the in-spirit open source fluid solver library to create the visual effect with a few modifications to the behaviour and other visual effects. The fluid solver renders to bitmap data and performed remarkably well. This was anther re-use of an existing Air Kinect application that plugged in with minimal setup.



Scion MegaWall

The Scion MegaWall was an application that was built for the 2014 Auto show and ran in LA, Detroit and NewYork. The application was built to integrate into a video wall via a show control system (Pandora). The application communicated with the show control system via a set of custom JSON messages sent over the network on TCP. The application could be configured on-the-fly to run in a number of different modes all controlled via xml configuration. This allowed the video wall to seamlessly transition from brand vide to the application and back.

In addition to the playback sequencing the wall took a number of live feeds including live weather, rss, instagram images and data from other on-site systems. One of these systems was a vending machine that was triggered when someone activated the machine via NFC. The application could also run interrupted regardless of an internet dropouts.



Kinect Video Wall

This project was originally part of the the Cisco House pavilion and was build upon for an installation in Cisco's Global Centre of Excellence in Songdo, South Korea. This video wall is still active and is the first digital feature that welcomes guests upon arrival to the centre.

The application is controlled via gesture controls using the Kinect depth camera. The main feature is a library of Cisco brand videos divided into three categories. A user can select a video category with their left hand and then choose a video with their right hand. In addition to the video player, a user can also initiate one of two live video conferences simply by standing on a hotspot marked by a floor decal.

A second custom Kinect interpretor application was built to support the primary app. Kinect data is optimised and sent to the main application over UDP on the local network. This application has since been reused in many other kinect controlled applications.



Lost Diggers

In February 2012 thousands of glass plate negatives were found in an attic in France. These images had been captured over 90 years earlier during the First World War and showed soldiers at rest in the village of Vignacourt during leave from the front. The Australian plates were bought by Kerry Stokes and donated to the Australian War Memorial.

This applications was build in actionscript and used the Starling framework. Images were stored locally however the application used webservices to update comments and submit comments. A requirement of the project was that it had to run offline, so all successful url requests were cached locally. Also any user generated comments were stored locally and synched to the backend whenever an internet connection became active.

For me personally this project had significance as my great uncle is buried in the Vignacourt War Cemetary and may well have been one of those lost diggers. I later visited the town of Vignacourt where the photographs were taken to pay my respects.



CR-Z Configurator

This application was the first I did for Spinifex Group. The application allowed a user to colour and apply decals to a CR-Z and then comp in a green screen image of themselves into the drivers seat. The final image could then be uploaded and shared on their facebook page. Built in Air using Papervision for the 3D model. I worked with a 3D modeller to optimise the car model and textures.